How Teacher-Student Relationships Improve Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening (Drive student engagement and empower learners through teacher-student relationships)
Rely on I'm Listening to help you drive deeper, more meaningful learning by integrating relationship building into lesson design. Written by practitioner Beth Pandolpho, this student engagement resource outlines how to foster a sense of belonging while also maintaining the integrity of the content. Using the book's practical strategies will help you empower learners to succeed at all subjects by being proficient readers, writers, speakers, and listeners.
Use this resource to create a caring, engaging classroom that provides students the support they need to develop emotionally:
- Explore the importance and benefits of building strong relationships with students, and discover the direct link to academic performance.
- Study the research and theories that support the assertion that robust teacher-student relationships and social-emotional learning create a better classroom environment.
- Acquire dozens of tools and strategies for building camaraderie with students and developing strong literacy skills in students.
- Learn how to use feedback to bolster students' speaking and listening skills, which are rarely addressed, and see how student-centered learning activities intersect with common standards.
- Read in-depth real-world anecdotes from teachers who share their activities and experiences to create a positive learning environment.
Chapter 1: Appreciating Why Relationships Matter in School
Chapter 2: Creating Relationships With Students
Chapter 3: Moving Toward Belonging
Chapter 4: Developing Readers
Chapter 5: Developing Writers
Chapter 6: Developing Speakers and Listeners
Epilogue: Listening With an Ear Toward the Future
Appendix: Teachers' Stories
References and Resources